It has been my honor to be the Mayor of Rutledge for the last 5 and a half years, first being selected by council to fill the office after a vacancy, and for four years after being elected for my first term.
I would like to continue the work that I have started. I’ve tried to make it a friendlier, more inclusive community while trying to keep the small town feeling that only residents of Rutledge can understand. I’ve always said that Rutledge is a great place to live so let’s take care of it and each other – and let’s have some fun while we do it!
I have had the pleasure of living in Rutledge for the last 25 years with my wife Beth and my children, Maddy and Aidan. Beth is a teacher at TCDN in Swarthmore. Maddy recently graduated from St. Joseph’s University with a BS in Biology. She is busy volunteering with a homeless prenatal program before heading off to medical school. Aidan is a senior at Strath Haven and plans to be a graphic artist.
Before I became mayor, I was a coach and then president for the Rutledge Girls Club. I was also awarded “Citizen of the Year” in 2011. I could also be found behind the bar at borough hall for over ten years.
Endorsement from Dr. Marlaina Kloepfer (R) Rutledge Borough Councilwoman, 2011-2017
“Throughout my years of service, I was able to rely on Mayor Cunningham as a true Public Servant. Every decision he made always had the best interest of the borough first and foremost. He is one of the most selfless leaders I know who is always available to his neighbors whether that is to unlock the Borough Hall or to voice a resident’s concern to council on their behalf. He is a collaborator who successfully balances the traditions of the borough with new events that welcome each and every neighbor.
He is an example of leadership and expertise that already exist within the borough who are not only capable but willing to give their time to serve our community.”
- Organized an Electronic Recycling Event in Rutledge (causing one of Rutledge’s only traffic jams)
- Cofounded “Snow Jam”, a free concert at the borough hall featuring Rutledge and other local musicians.
- Organized the first and now annual Memorial Day ceremony in Rutledge to honor our fallen men and women of the Armed Forces.
- Brought back the Tree Lighting ceremony to the borough, along with the Rutledge Activities Committee, including seasonal live music by the Silvertones from Strath Haven H.S. and a visit from Santa Claus from the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company.
- Actively involved in the “Souperbowl of Caring” food drive organized through Chambers Memorial Church to help stock the food pantries of Delaware County.
- Organized and threw a Championship parade for the Rutledge Girls Softball Championship in 2014 with help from the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company and the Swarthmore Police Department
- Started the tradition of the mayor handing out candy at the Borough Hall on Halloween.
- Created “Coffee with the Mayor” on periodic Saturday mornings at Borough Hall.
- Coordinate and actively encourage increased interaction between the residents and the Swarthmore Police Department. Something that I think is very important!
- Actively involved with the 4th of July ceremony and coordinating with the Rutledge Activities Committee.
But, I think my greatest accomplishment in 5 and a half years is knowing that I have treated all of the residents, regardless of who you are, equally and with respect. Remember, this is a great place to live. Let’s take care of it and each other!